Monday, June 8, 2009

So much food. So little time.

There’s tons of great food in China, although its nothing like Chinese food in the US. Here are a few of the highlights.
 
Chinese egg mcmuffin. This is what I get for breakfast everyday. It’s an egg and strips of potatoes on a fried roll. Delicious.

 Mangosteen. This adorable little guy can be broken open to reveal sweet and tangy white segmented fruit. I don’t know what to compare it to but its great. 

Sticky buns. They sell these everywhere on the street, and the best ones are filled with some kind of meat or veggie (I prefer not to ask what).

Basically, this was fried chicken and french fries served with Coke. The coke here is like Mexican coke - made with real sugar - so I almost like it (its no Dr. Pepper, but still). I guess some meals are universal. 

Ham Sandwich. That’s what it said on the menu anyway. I have no idea what this was, but it was not a ham sandwich. It may have had ham on top. I’m really not sure. 

Funnel Cake. Okay, I wasn’t so into this…it was like crispy fried batter filled with corn and topped with sprinkles. Maybe it was someone’s birthday? Unclear.

Hutong Pizza. Yes, we actually found a pizza place that makes excellent pizza. And serves real beer. There is cheese in China!!

Dumplings. I love these in every possible variety, although I seem to be adept at ordering 50 when I only mean to order 5. This is what happens when you can’t hold onto your dumpling with the chopsticks, and you drop it in the sauce and it splatters on your shirt. I’ve done this at least three times so far. 


3 comments:

  1. this is the MOST IMPORTANT part of your blog. food discussion + food pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aww....your poor shirt.

    But mmmmm.....dumplings.

    ReplyDelete