Thursday, June 18, 2009

Rack 'Em

I don’t know if this is impressive or sad, but tonight was the first time I have been out past 10pm since I got to China. After the amazingness of the opera, Dawn and I decided we would join Rio and Elliott at the pool hall across the street. Pool in China is quite a scene. First of all, the tables are huge and the pockets are tiny, which did not help my already limited billiard skills. The greatest thing though, is that after every game, an attendant runs over (seriously, runs) and racks the pool balls for you with lightning speed. Totally worth the price of admission just to see. Also, there are no drinking laws to speak of in China (i.e. walking the streets with a beer is fine, no age limit) so there were children running around the pool hall playing under the tables. They will probably grow up to be serious pool sharks…but possibly develop lung cancer from second hand smoke. Everything’s a trade off.

3 comments:

  1. I need one of those dudes to do the racking for me- like the Monty Python song, "I like Chinese; They're cute, and cuddley, and eager to please".

    I'm probably banned from posting comments now, huh?

    ReplyDelete
  2. It would be in keeping with the China spirit of me to censor your comment, but I guess I won't.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'll try to bring one of those little dudes home in my luggage for you :)

    ReplyDelete