Monday, June 8, 2009

I'm not complaining. Honest.

I really am having an excellent time on this trip so far, and am learning so much about the country. But I have to say just one thing. For the record. 

I hate group tours. 

I sort of knew this already, but after the last two days its become official. There is something so bizarre and disturbing about stepping off a bus with twenty other people and descending on some rural town with cameras and nalgene bottles in tow, and staring at (and being stared at by) an entire community of people who may never have met anyone outside of their country. 
That, and I really hate being on other people's schedules. There. I said it. I feel better. Let's try to move on now. 

2 comments:

  1. It's funny to think about a bus full of camera-toting Americans fascinated and taking pictures. I remember when I visited Astroworld as a kid there was a bus full of Asians that were taking tons of pictures at the entrance. I remember wondering who they were, where they came from and why they were so amazed by the Astroworld waterfall. And thinking it was so sad that they did not have a Tweety-Bird of their own.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally understand. I had to take a tour of the Austin State Hospital Last week (formerly known as the psychiatric asylum). It was the most awkward thing ever and one of the patients actually yelled out something along the lines of "WOW, look at the crazy people in their natural habitat" as we walked into the courtyard. It was pretty mortifying for me but luckily I jet out early cause I had class. It was pretty funny hearing about how great the facility is from the staff considering I am pretty sure they recently got in trouble for abusing there patients...hmmmmmmmm.

    ReplyDelete